Purchasing your own custom domain at a hosting provider then connecting that domain to your landing page is a great way of ensuring strong brand alignment, improved Google indexing, and better Google Ads compatibility.
Check out our doc for more information on why to connect to your own custom domain.
The following article describes how to connect your custom domain to your Unbounce landing page.
What You’ll Need:
- A domain which you own.
- Administrative access to your domain's DNS with your domain hosting provider.
- Owner/Administrative access to your Unbounce account.
- An Unbounce account with a paid subscription.
Connecting your domain to Unbounce requires jumping around to a few different areas of the builder as well as another website so we’ll break it down into separate steps:
- Step 1: Add your domain to Unbounce.
- Step 2: Set up your CNAME record with your hosting provider.
- Step 3: Hurry Up and Wait!
- Step 3.5: Reconfiguring Your Domain Using the Retry Button.
- Step 4: Change the URL of your landing page in the Unbounce builder.
- Step 5: Enabling SSL.
For a detailed walk-through, here's a video on how to add a custom domain in Unbounce:
Step 1: Add Your Domain to Unbounce
We'll start by adding the domain to Unbounce. This will get the process started to creating any required DNS records in later steps.
If you already have a website living at your root domain (e.g., www.mysite.com), you'll need to use a subdomain (e.g., promo.mysite.com), because your Unbounce landing pages can't live at exactly the same URL as your homepage.
- Log in to the Unbounce app.
- Select the Client under which you would like to add your custom domain from the drop-down menu on the top left-hand side of the screen.
- Once in the correct Client, click the Domains link from the navigation bar on the left side of the screen:
- Click the Add a Domain button. A new dialog box will appear:
- In the new Add A Domain dialog box, enter your domain name (either a root domain or a subdomain).
- Click the Create Domain button to confirm. A new dialog box will appear:
Having trouble adding your domain? You may need some assistance from our support team. Refer to our FAQ article How Do I Recover A Deleted Domain? for more information.
- Click the Copy to Clipboard button to copy your unique CNAME record. Ensure to copy this as you will need it in step 3! Click the Got It button at the bottom right corner of the dialog box:
Your domain is now registered with Unbounce! Now, navigate to your hosting provider for the next steps on how to set up that CNAME record.
Step 2: Set up your CNAME record with your hosting provider.
Your hosting provider is the company that you purchased your domain name from. By setting up your CNAME record, you will be forwarding all your site traffic to your Unbounce landing page.
Describing the process of adding a CNAME record varies wildly due to the fact that there are so many different hosting providers.
Please check which hosting provider option belongs to you and follow the link from the list below to the proper instructions on how to setup a CNAME record:
- GoDaddy, 1on1 IONOS, or MediaTemple
- Google Domains
- Network Solutions
- CPanel based hosting solution (Example: LunarHost, Monster Host, SiteCloud, JustHost)
- General CNAME setup instructions for a hosting provider not listed above.
Once you’ve followed the instructions on the documentation for your hosting provider, come back to this page and continue down the page to Step 3.
Step 3: Hurry Up and Wait!
Now that you’ve set up your CNAME record at your hosting provider, navigate back to your Unbounce app.
You’ll notice that the domain you added to Unbounce earlier in step one is working hard to make the connection to your hosting provider.
You’ll see a yellow Configuring message, meaning that Unbounce and your Hosting Provider are working together to try to establish that forwarding connection so that your pages can show up on your domain.
This step can take as quickly as a few minutes, and in some extreme cases it can take up to a few days. So hang tight as your CNAME record propagates.
Once your domain is correctly configured and all set up you should see a lovely green Working and Secure message beside your recently added domain.
Now that you’ve gone ahead and added that domain, let’s make use of it and add it to your landing page so that visitors can use that spiffy new branded domain to find your marketing campaign.
If you’ve got that green working and secure message go ahead and skip ahead to Step 4: Change the URL of your landing page in the Unbounce builder.
If you’ve got a red Error finding CNAME message like in the image below, read on to Step 3.5: Reconfiguring Your Domain Using the Retry Button.
Step 3.5: Reconfiguring Your Domain Using the Retry Button
Domains can vary to configure for a few reasons. For example, if there's too much of a gap in time between steps 1 and 2, ie waiting a few days to set up your CNAME info with your hosting provider after adding your new domain to Unbounce.
Click the Retry button beside the domain that you would like to reconfigure. This will allow the Unbounce servers to go through the process of communicating with your hosting provider to get that domain up and running once more.
Once you click the Retry button, the domain will revert back to Configuring status. Give the domain some time to configure, and if you notice another error message, try out these troubleshooting steps:
Step 4: Change the URL of your landing page in the Unbounce builder.
Follow the steps below to change the url of your landing page to your own custom domain.
- Navigate to the Page Overview for the relevant landing page.
- Click the Change URL button on the upper left of the page. A new dialog box will appear:
- In the new Change Page URL dialog box, select the domain you wish to use for this page from the Choose a new URL for your page drop-down menu.
- Customize your landing page final URL as desired.
- Click the Change URL button at the bottom right-hand corner of the dialog box to save your changes:
Congratulations, you’ve successfully set up your first custom domain for your Unbounce landing page!
For some FAQs on changing your display URL, see our documentation: How Can I Change My Display URL?
Step 5: Enabling SSL
Once you've set up your domain, you can add an extra layer of security & encryption by enabling SSL. This will act as an extra layer of security, protecting visitors interacting with your landing page.
You can enable SSL (HTTPS) on all Unbounce domains connected via CNAME in a few easy steps. Navigate to the Domains tab on the left-hand side of the Unbounce App & toggle the Force 'https' on all non-WordPress domains button on the top-right:
Take a read of our documentation for more information about securing your pages with SSL, and some best practices to ensure that your page content is secure: How Do I Secure my Landing Page Domain with SSL?
Enabling SSL on WordPress domains must be set up outside of Unbounce. Follow our documentation for more insight on how to enable SSL on WordPress domains.
For more information about CNAME records, how they work, and additional DNS terminology, head over to our DNS glossary.
Connect Your Domain Checklist
Connecting your domain can be a long and tedious process. Here's a to-do list to make your job a whole lot easier! Download this checklist to keep track of what steps you've completed to connect your domain to Unbounce.