Step-by-step setup now simplifies your path to Smart Traffic-powered optimization.
- Select Smart Traffic when creating a page
- Create another page variant
- Publish your pages
- Let your page learn with each unique visitor
- Once your pages have completed a learning phase, it’s now primed for optimization, and AI will automatically route new visitors to the variant upon which they’re most likely to convert.
This article will explain how to set up and enable Smart Traffic onto your landing pages, and how to analyze your Smart Traffic stats.
To enable Smart Traffic on a landing page, you’ll need at least two active variants.
- Navigate to the landing page where you’d like to activate Smart Traffic.
- Scroll down the page to the Page Traffic Mode section and select Smart Traffic.
Adding a Variant to Smart Traffic
You can add an unlimited amount of variants to your Smart Traffic enabled landing page, with the caveat that every variant added will increase the amount of learning time that Smart Traffic will require before it can optimize its traffic direction algorithm. This is known as the Learning Phase.
What is the learning phase? Smart Traffic has an initial learning period and will start optimizing your traffic when your visitor count hits 50.
- To add a new variant, click Add Variant at the bottom of the Page Traffic Mode section.
- You can add new variants by three different methods:
- Duplicating an existing variant
- Starting from scratch
- Starting from a template
- Once you’ve selected which method you’d like to use, click Create Variant at the bottom right corner of the dialog box.
Enabling an Inactive Variant to Smart Traffic
To enable an Inactive Variant to Smart Traffic mode, you’ll have to change the variant status to active.
- Click on the Ellipsis menu on the right side of the variant you’d like to make active, and select Add to active variants.
- Once the variant is returned to active status, republish it to active Smart Traffic on this variant.
Smart Traffic Status Details
Once you’ve enabled Smart Traffic on your landing page, your account will show a Smart Traffic status bar with three possible statuses:
- Awaiting Publish - Smart Traffic is ready and will start working once the page is published.
- Learning Phase - Smart Traffic is analyzing the incoming visitors and learning about their behavior and attributes.
- Optimizing - Smart Traffic has learned about your visitors and has started to route visitors to the pages with the highest likelihood for them to convert. Note: Smart Traffic will continue to learn even after it has begun optimizing.
Once you’ve published your variants, Smart Traffic will go into the Learning Phase.
Smart Traffic will begin optimizing in as little as 50 visitors at which point it will show an Optimizing state.
Do note: any time a new variant is added, your Smart Traffic test will route back to the Learning Phase.
Smart Traffic will display the lift percentage achieved once the learning phase has been completed and optimizing has begun.
Viewing Your Smart Traffic Results
The lift percentage numbers will appear above your conversion rates. As Smart Traffic optimizes and learns your visitors’ behaviors, your lift percentage and extra conversions number should increase.
Deactivate Variant Insight
Deactivate Variant is a Smart Traffic Reporting Insight that helps you focus your efforts on iterating and improving high-performing variants by recommending variants to deactivate.
This Insight highlights what variants are not resonating with your audience, which is just as important as knowing which do.
Create campaigns that perform better, and focus your ad spend on content that will convert!
How does Deactivate Variant Insight work?
The Insight informs you about an existing variant that is not best performing for any segments nor contributing to positive lift, and therefore, can be removed from the test.
The Deactivate Variant Insight will appear on accounts that have
- Smart Traffic enabled on a page,
- two or more variants are running, and
- received at least 100 total page visitors within the last 28 days or since last publish (whichever is greater).
So, though you may have enabled Smart Traffic on a few of your pages, you may not see the prompt to deactivate a variant unless our machine-learning algorithm determines that this variant is not performing as well as other variants.
Applying Deactivate Variant Insight to your Landing Page
If your page qualifies for variant deactivation suggestions, you may see prompts and messages in the Page Overview to deactivate a variant from the test. Follow these instructions to complete the deactivation of the variant:
- Navigate to the Page Overview of your landing page.
- Scroll down to the Page Traffic Mode section to view information about your Smart Traffic test.
- A suggestion to Deactivate Variant will appear for specific variants in your test:
- Click the drop-down arrow next to the variant you’d like to deactivate, and click Deactivate:
- A confirmation dialog will appear, confirming the deactivation. Click OK:
- A confirmation message will appear at the top of the Page Overview confirming the variant deactivation:
- Click the Republish button at the top right-hand corner of the Page Overview to save and publish these changes.
Remember: You must republish your page for the deactivated variant to take effect, but rest assured, this will not restart the learning phase for Smart Traffic.
Looking for more resources about Smart Traffic? Take a read of the following docs: