What is AMP?
Beta features are still in active development and may change unexpectedly without notice. Unbounce Support will do their best to offer assistance, however may not be able to resolve some issues due to the limitations of an open beta.
Note:AMP Functionality is currently available only for Premium and Enterprise plan users.
For every second that a page takes to load, conversions drop by 12% — and 53% of smartphone users will abandon a page entirely if it takes more than 3 seconds to load. Google AMP (Accelerated Mobile Pages) Project is an open source project that’s all about page speed and creating a new format for mobile pages that load far more quickly than the traditional mobile page.
AMP strips your landing page of all the bulky, unnecessary parts and streamlines the page for faster loading times. But it also means that you’ll be able to use less custom code and need to make much simpler pages.
AMP pages aren’t coded like traditional web pages, and are built with 3 core components:
- AMP HTML - This new format of HTML has AMP specific tags and custom elements. Though it’s similar to regular HTML coding, there are some restrictions to allow the AMP pages to perform more reliably.
- AMP Cache - AMP Cache is a proxy-based server that’s created specifically to work with AMP pages. It allows your pages to be preloaded efficiently from the same location, while also optimizing the content for speed in the background while it’s loading.
Unbounce takes care of these 3 components for you. Our new AMP feature allows you to use the drag and drop builder (with some AMP format related limitations) to create near-instant loading landing pages for your end users that are controlled and created by you.
Amp Format Limitations
Amp is a great way of guaranteeing that your websites load incredibly quickly for your customers, but the great speed means that there are also some limitations regarding what can be added to an AMP coded webpage.
The following customizations are forbidden or extremely limited when creating an AMP webpage:
- Inline Style Attributes
- Linked Stylesheets
Google Analytics can be used with AMP websites. See our documentation on how to add Google Analytics to your AMP page.
In light of the limitations of the AMP format, The Unbounce AMP builder does not offer the same feature set as the regular page builder. The following options are currently unavailable in the open beta version of the Unbounce AMP builder:
- No support for global scripts.
- No support for AB testing.
- No support for variants.
- No support for external conversion tracking.
- No preview. To preview, please publish your page to unbouncepages.com before using your own domain.
- No republishing from within the AMP builder. You must republish from the overview screen.
- Button background images will not show.
- Background color overlays and gradient backgrounds will not show.
- Horizontal form fields are not available. Form fields may only be stacked vertically.
- Popups and sticky bars will not work with AMP.
- Lightboxes are not available within the AMP builder.
- Dynamic Text Replacement is not available for AMP pages.