Troubleshooting Problems With Your CNAME Record
If you've followed the steps above and are still experiencing difficulties 48 hours after making changes to your CNAME records, you can quickly verify your CNAME record by running a CNAME lookup using MxToolbox:
- Visit http://www.mxtoolbox.com/CNAMELookup.aspx.
- Enter your custom domain's URL in the "Domain Name" field.
- Click CNAME Lookup.
Below is the kind of result you're after, as it shows that the domain "www.cheapelephants.com" is correctly pointing to "unbouncepages.com" with a CNAME record:
These results show you:
- Type: The type of record created for your subdomain.
- If your DNS settings are correct, you will see 'CNAME' in this field.
- If you do not see 'CNAME' in the response and only see 'A' then there may be an A Record in your DNS that is overriding your CNAME Record. This A Record will need to be deleted or changed because you cannot have an A Record and a CNAME record created for the same subdomain.
- Domain Name: The domain you searched.
- Canonical Name: The host to which your domain points.
- If your DNS settings are correct, you will see "unbouncepages.com" in this field
- If you see a different value, you will have to edit the host (or points to) value of this subdomain in your DNS settings to be "unbouncepages.com".
- Note: you might see something like "unbouncepages.com.yourdomain.com" in this field. If you do, you'll have to return to your host and edit the points to value of your CNAME record to be "unbouncepages.com." (note the extra . at the end).
- TTL: Your time to live value.
- This is the amount of time your server holds on to older cached information before it refreshes to show any new changes. If your custom domain does not seem to be working properly, you may just need to wait the amount of time indicated before your custom domain will work.
In Unbounce, you can use the ellipsis associated with a domain to change, delete, or access the setup instruction for that domain.
Once your CNAME is fully propagated and functional, head back to the Page Overview and change the URL of any pages you'd like published there.
If you've followed these instructions and are still experiencing difficulties with your custom domain that have not resolved themselves after 48 hours, please send a full screen capture of your current DNS setup to using the Help button and let us know which hosting provider you are using.