Nobody wants to land on a 404 page but hey, things happen!
Don't let the opportunity go to waste. You can still use your 404 page to connect with your customers and ideally, corral them back to where they need to be. The best 404 pages are customized and communicate clearly that a page won't be found, but maintain a friendly, helpful experience for the visitor (and often link back to an active page).
If you choose not to customize your 404 page, your customers will see the following generic 404 page if their browser requests a page that doesn't exist on the requested domain for your landing page:
Follow these steps to customize your 404 page:
You'll need a custom domain to create a custom 404 page. Once your custom domain is set up, creating a 404 page for your custom domain in Unbounce is a simple, 3-step process:
- Create a new page in Unbounce that you'll use as your 404 page.
- Save and publish your page.
- Click the Change Page URL button at the top right-hand corner of the screen. A new dialog box will appear.
- In the new change your URL dialog box, change the URL of the page to 404.
- Click the Change URL button in the bottom right-hand corner of the dialog box.
That's it! Now if anyone visits a URL for your custom domain that doesn't exist, they'll see your custom 404 page instead of the generic one. If you have multiple custom domains, repeat steps 1-3 for each domain.
If you have multiple custom domains, you'll need to create a 404 page for each domain. Also remember, statistics are not recorded for custom 404 pages.