Passing a URL parameter to another page is a great way to send form data between different stages of your funnel.
You can use URL parameters to track different metrics in services like Google Analytics or Google Ads.
This article will explain how to send parameters through URLs in Smart Builder.
Appending Form Data to a URL
- Single-click your form in Smart Builder.
- Click the Form Settings button. The Form Settings will appear on the left-hand side of Smart Builder.
- Tick the box to Append form data to URL:
Testing URL Parameters
To test and see if the parameter values are being captured correctly, submit a test lead to the form while on the custom URL containing the parameters, and input some test values.
For example, suppose the URL for this custom campaign is my.amazinglandingpage.io/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=fall_sale, and the designated hidden fields have been set up in your Unbounce form.
After submitting a test lead on this URL, the hidden fields in your Unbounce form will capture the following UTM parameter values: google, email, and fall_sale.
These values will appear in the Leads Table:
To learn more about accessing your leads, see this article: Getting Your Leads.
Adding Hidden Form Fields
Sometimes, you may want to capture UTM parameters, especially if your customer lands on your page from an email campaign, ad click, or another source that isn't direct traffic.
Creating hidden form fields lets you capture these parameters; that way, when a visitor completes a form, the values from the hidden fields will capture as well.
Follow these steps to create hidden form fields in Smart Builder:
- Single-click your form.
- Click on Form Settings .
From the left-hand side menu, click Add a hidden field:
- A new window will appear where you can customize your hidden field by updating the field:
- Label & ID
- Default value (can be left blank if you’re capturing UTM sources):
- When you’re happy with these changes, click the Submit button.
- This field will not be visible to your page visitors but will be visible to you in Smart Builder as you continue to edit your page.
Be sure to Save your page when you’re happy with these changes.