Have you ever dreamed of tracking payments your visitors make through PayPal as conversions on your landing page? Well dream no more! Read below and make your wishes come true.
Your final workflow will look like this:
You will need to complete three main steps to get it all up and running:
- Step A - Paste our external conversion tracking script into your thank you page
- Step B - Configure your PayPal payment page
- Step C - Create a 'Buy Now' link on your landing page
Step A - Paste our External Conversion Tracking Script into your Thank You Page
- Create a landing page you would like your visitors to see as the final 'thank you' step in the payment process and open it in the Unbounce editor
Set the 'Placement' to 'Before Body End Tag' and paste in this code:
- Save and Publish your page. Make note of its display URL.
Step B - Configure your PayPal Payment Page
- Log-in to your PayPal account at http://www.paypal.com
- Access their merchant tools by clicking the 'Merchant Services' tab in the navigation bar
- Create a new button by clicking 'Buy Now Button'
- Fill in the appropriate information for your billing purposes in Step 1 and Step 2
- Open up 'Step 3: Customize Advanced Features'
- Enable 'Take customers to this URL when they finish checkout' and enter the URL for the thank you page you created in Step A above
- Confirm your settings and the click 'Create Button'
- This will take you to a page where you can grab the code for your 'Buy Now' button. You will have two options:
- You can copy the code within the 'Website' tab to embed PayPal's 'Buy Now' button or
- You can copy the URL within the 'Email' tab to create your own link to the payment page
Step C - Paste the 'Buy Now' Link on your Landing Page
If you copied the code from the 'Website' tab and want to embed PayPal's buy now button:
- Open the landing page you want to embed the 'Buy Now' button into in the Unbounce editor
- Drag a new Custom HTML object onto your page
- Paste in the script you copied from the 'Website' tab in PayPal and click 'Done'
- Resize the placeholder box to match the height and width of the PayPal button and position it wherever you like on your landing page
- You can now save, preview and ultimately publish your page
If you copied the URL from the 'Email' tab and want to use a customized button
- Open the landing page you want to link to your PayPal payment page in the Unbounce editor
- Drag a new button onto your page
- With the button selected, look over at the properties pane on the right. Set the button action to 'Go to URL' and paste the link you collected from the 'Email' tab in PayPal into the 'link' field
You can also use an Unbounce form to collect lead data and direct your leads to your PayPal page once they submit the form. Just set the submit action to 'Go to URL' and paste the above link into the 'link' field. If you choose to do this, you may want to uncheck the form submit as a conversion goal so that you only count conversions when your visitors actually make their payment (see here for information on setting conversion goals).
Also, be advised that because Unbounce forms are not encrypted, you'll want to embed your form if you're collecting sensitive information like passwords or credit card information.
You can freely customize the appearance of your button and then save, preview and ultimately publish your page.
You're now ready to start tracking your PayPal payments as conversions on your landing page!
If you run into any difficulties setting this up or have any questions, just send us an email to email@example.com