With Unbounce’s Mailchimp integration, you can send your leads directly into your Mailchimp account!
What You’ll Need:
- An Unbounce account with an active subscription,
- A lead-gen landing page to collect your visitor's email addresses,
- A Mailchimp account (you must be an Admin or Owner of the account), and
- An email list where you’ll send your new subscribers.
Integrating MailChimp with Your Unbounce Landing Page
- Log in to the Unbounce Conversion Intelligence™ Platform.
- Select the page that you wish to use for your Mailchimp integration.
- Navigate to the Page Overview and click the Integrations tab. Select Mailchimp. A new dialog box will appear:
- Select the Mailchimp List you want the lead added to
- Select a follow-up for new leads between Confirmation Email or configuring an auto-responder manually in Mailchimp (see more about using each below).
- If your list has groups then you can select which groups new leads will be added to (learn more about using Mailchimp Groups with Unbounce).
- NOTE: Selecting Overwrite Existing Groups will overwrite any previous group selections for existing leads.
That's it, you're all set! Once your account is integrated, you are ready to start capturing the email of leads on your Unbounce page.
Running into authorization errors with Mailchimp? See troubleshooting Mailchimp integrations at the bottom of this article to learn more.
What Unbounce will send to Mailchimp
All leads sent from Unbounce to Mailchimp will contain some basic information:
- Email: The email address of the lead; collected from the form submission.
- Unbounce Page ID: This is a unique identifier for your Unbounce Landing Page
- Unbounce Page Variant: This is the letter that identifies which variant your leads have originated from.
- Unbounce Submission Date: The date Unbounce received the lead.
Testing your Integration
Now that everything is set up we highly encourage you to test it out and make sure everything is working as you expect it. Publish your page, submit a form, and check that the new lead shows up in Mailchimp (can take up to a couple of minutes).
Once you’ve tested everything out you can click Reset Stats so that your conversion rate isn’t affected by the tests.
You might also be interested in:
Using Mailchimp groups with Unbounce
Using groups in Mailchimp is a great way to segment within the same Mailchimp list.
Once you've set up groups in Mailchimp and integrated your Unbounce landing page with MailChimp, the integration will detect any groups from your chosen list.
- Select the group(s) you'd like your leads added to.
- You can choose either, neither, some, or all.
- You don't need to select this option if leads can live in more that one group
- Selecting this will overwrite any existing group association - if the lead was already in one group, they'll be moved to whichever was selected above
Following up with New Leads in Mailchimp
When new leads are added to your Mailchimp list from Unbounce you can either use a single or double opt-in process:
Single Opt-in (I will configure an auto-responder manually in Mailchimp)
Using Mailchimp Automation Workflows you can create an email (or series of emails) that sends when a lead is passed from Unbounce into Mailchimp.
There are plenty of reasons why you would want to use a workflow:
- Delivering an ebook.
- Sending an ecourse automatically over days or weeks.
- Offering a product demo or special offer a few days after downloading content.
- Inviting people to download older content they may not have seen.
- Many, many more...
For example: After downloading two of your ebooks, Fred now belongs to two groups in the “I Love Chimps Newsletter” list. One week later, he receives an email with a 25% discount on your ecourse.
When setting up your Automation, please make sure that the "Trigger when subscribers are imported" option is enabled:
Double Opt-In (Confirmation Email)
With single opt-in, leads passed from Unbounce are immediately added to your list. Double opt-in ensures that you have a valid email address and that your subscribers want to hear from you, which can provide higher open rates, and lower bounce and unsubscribe rates for your campaigns.
If you wish to modify the initial email your leads receive then you'll need to update the opt-in confirmation email:
- Select your list in Mailchimp by clicking the checkbox beside the list name.
- Select the Signup Forms option by expanding the drop-down arrow menu beside your selected Mailchimp list. A new page will appear.
- Click on the Form Builder link.
- Select Opt-in Confirmation Email from the Form and Response Emails drop-down menu.
- Edit the confirmation email to your heart's content!
- That's it! Your leads will now receive a customized confirmation email when signing up to your list.
There are a few things that could go wrong to indicate that your integration isn't working properly. Before you get in touch with us, please take a look at the following potential issues:
Troubleshooting the MailChimp Integration Setup
Is there an Invalid authorization error when setting up the MailChimp integration?
Are you an admin or owner of the MailChimp account (under your email address of the Unbounce account you're logged into)?
You have Admin or Owner level permissions in your MailChimp account (Manager permissions roles will not suffice), in order to set up the integration in Unbounce - this is a security measure from MailChimp's platform.
Troubleshooting Lead Submissions
Are your form fields mapping properly to your Mailchimp list?
Check out the Field Mapping documentation if you haven't already, and make sure you've configured your Mailchimp integration to send your form fields to the appropriate fields in your MC list.
Is your Mailchimp list expecting any other "required" fields?
If your Mailchimp list has some fields marked "required" that we aren't passing through from your Unbounce form then the integration will fail. To check this, edit the form for the appropriate list in Mailchimp and check to see which fields are required.
If you're using an opt-in, are you sure users are clicking the confirmation link in the email?
If it looks like Unbounce has captured the lead, but you don't see them in Mailchimp (and the above things are non-issues) then it's possible your leads are not clicking on their Mailchimp confirmation link that should be delivered in an Email. Try walking through the process with your own email and checking to see if the integration is working for you. You may want to check the content of your confirmation email in Mailchimp and make sure the link is still prominent.
Are you seeing an "Invalid Email" Error with the lead submissions?
Mailchimp does not accept international characters in the prefix of an email address. There is no way for Unbounce to force email addresses with international characters through to Mailchimp. Unfortunately this is a block implemented by Mailchimp.
Click to learn more about Mailchimp's supported characters in email prefixes.
Mailchimp: an email marketing service provider.
Information sent from Unbounce to Mailchimp: email, Page ID, Page Variant, Submission Date
Autoresponder emails: enables you to automatically send emails to leads at set times
Reasons why you would want to use an autoresponder: delivering an ebook, sending an e-course automatically, offering a product demo or special offer, inviting people to download content.